Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Ericka: Twerking Tuesday (7.30.13)


This morning I got back to my juicing! I had been on a juicing hiatus, because I accidentally went on a making groceries strike. This morning's concoction was mixed baby greens, mango, banana, raspberries, strawberries, almonds, non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt, honey and a little bit of cayenne pepper.


As you know, every day I have to do a different hourly challenge at work. When I got to work, my cohorts and I decided that triceps dips were a little too much to face after yesterday's push-ups so we decided to switch Tuesday and Thursday. Therefore we had to do 25 squats every hour. Jacqueline, who is ever the one upper, wanted to incorporate twerking somehow because she liked the sound of Twerking Tuesday. I don't know when it happened, but twerking a.k.a. popping a.k.a booty shaking has become somewhat of a phenomenon. I blame Miley for mainstreaming it. There are twerking classes in New York! Twerking has been a dance popular in the NO since the beginning of time. Okay maybe not that long ago but you get my drift. Artists like Big Freedia and Sissy Nobbie are bringing our style of music and dancing to the forefront, and it's kind of cool, but a part me wants to keep our thing, but I digress.

So to oblige her I decided that we will alternate regular squats with twerking squats every other hour. How do you do a twerking squat you ask? Well I tried different variations, but the one that created the most exertion of energy was the squat that involved what I like to call twerk knees (See Free Workouts:Keaira Lashae's r hip hop booty shaking workout). Basically you get into the squat position, alternate bringing each knee in while simultaneously turning your foot with your heel going out and make sure to pop your but OUT at the same time. Another variation is to squat and bring your knees in and out at the same time while popping. Now do that for 10 knees in and out, or 5 knees in and out on each side if you are alternating legs, then come up. That's 1 set. Do 4 sets like that and you have the twerk squat. It should work your thighs. 

The plan was to also take a Tabata class at lunch. I booked it over there only to learn upon arrival at 12:20 that class started at noon, not 12:30. I proceeded to turn around and go back to work. Yes I could have stayed and worked out, but the thought of getting on the elliptical or the treadmill without any music was depressing. I just can't. I'm already stationary. I need something to distract me from what I'm doing. Chris and I are going to workout together this evening to make up for my missed gym class.

And for your viewing pleasure here are the golden sisters' take on twerking:
Happy Twerking!
E

No comments:

Post a Comment