Monday, July 1, 2013

Ericka: Temptation (7.1.13)


My mom invited us over for dinner last night, so we took Deuce over there right after we finished swimming. Upon arrival I see my dad in the kitchen putting the finishing touches on his cheddar biscuits, and by finishing touches I mean brushing melted butter on top of the already cheesy & tasty carb laden side. Then on the stove is red beans and rice with smoked sausage and pickle meat,corn,  baked hen and turkey necks, and some delicious looking pasta loaded with tomato sauce and 2 of my favorite things, scallops and okra.

Now I tried to prepare for the worst by telling my mom that we are on a no salt no carbs detox diet, and by bringing a salad topped with raspberries, sliced almonds, and red onion, but that food was so tempting. My mother assured me that she only used a pinch of sea salt so I had a turkey neck, my salad, and I picked out a bunch of okra and scallops. It was good, but not as good as everyone else's plate. I had to remind myself that I am on a journey and that I am making a lifestyle change. While a cheat day once a week may be okay for some, it's a slippery slope for me, at least for right now. It starts with one cheat day, and then I'll tell myself "oh you can have that little piece of XYZ, you worked out today". Then it becomes a cheat week, a cheat month, a cheat year. I've cheated myself out of a lot, like being confident when I go shopping for new clothes, or feeling good in a bathing suit. It's just not worth it. Maybe one day when I have better control over myself I'll be able to indulge every once in a while, but right now I just can't. I need to prepare for the 4th of July, because there won't be too many healthy options at the annual bbq. I will have to come up with a tasty and healthy dish that everyone will love.

On to today. It started off on a good foot. I got up and did the "Move Your Body" warm up to get me ready for Monday, and then I did Tara Stiles 10 minute "Beginners' Yoga for Weight Loss".  The yoga felt really good, because my back and shoulders were so sore from swimming. Then I went to work. I backed into my parking spot, turned off the car and then tried to open the door. Apparently, I parked a little too close to the post. I tried to turn the car back on and it would not start so I had to crawl out the other side of the car and wait for assistance which was in the form of Chris and my boss.  I got back into the driver's side so that could try jumping it, but that didn't work. We decided to get it towed, but the clearance was not high enough. The boys had to push the car down 4 ramps while I steered the wheel which was super tight. It took all of my non-existing abs and arm strength to navigate those turns down the ramp. I felt like I got a workout in.

I planned on going to Tabata this evening, but I have to work late so I am going to hop on the elliptical by my parents' house and do one of my tried and true YouTube videos.

I hope your Monday is going a lot better than mine,

E

No comments:

Post a Comment