Saturday, July 27, 2013

Ericka: Who Run the World...Girls (7.27.13)

Yes girls run the world! That's the title of my post not only because that song gave me the energy boost to push myself on the track, but also because Chris learned that very lesson the hard way. I'll get to the latter later.

This morning we went to the gym. Thankfully, we belong to a gym that has a daycare. We dropped Deuce off, and he didn't even look back. We met up with my friend Essie, because I wanted to get in some more racquetball lessons. Since Chris had been talking smack all week about how he could whoop Es, I let them play first so that there would be no excuses like "I was tired from my workout." So while they got it in, I decided to skip my usual elliptical workout and get on the indoor track. As you know, jogging is the bane of my existence, but it is such a great cardiovascular workout.  In the past, whenever I wanted to lose weight quickly, jogging produced the most efficient results. Nonetheless, I still hate it. It's not just a physical challenge, but a mental one as well. I remember way back in high school we had to do the mile every Friday, and we were supposed to do it in 10 minutes. I used to jog to a bush and wait it out then jump back in as if I did something. SMDH. I think one of my goals for the future is to do a half marathon.I think the longest I've ever jogged was an hour. After an hour I would wonder why I am doing this and just stop. 13 miles will definitely be a test of will.

Back to the track; 11 times around equaled a mile. I decided that I was going alternate jogging and walking for 20 minutes. When I jogged around the 1st time, I noticed a clock so I decided to time my laps. The first lap was a minute and 8 seconds and my walking laps were like a minute and a half. Then I jogged around again. About the 3rd jogging lap, I started to feel it and wanted to slow down, but then Beyonce came on & I said to myself "I run this track, the track does not run me." When I pushed it, I noticed I shaved some time off my lap. I kept pushing and pushing until I did a lap in 59 seconds. Every time I saw the clock, which was located at the home stretch, I pushed myself. Thank you clock, and thank you Beyonce.


Now back to Chris' thrashing. Like I said, he had been talking smack all week. He truly underestimated Es. She's short (Essie you are short just like me) and unassuming, if you don't know her. I was looking forward to the match, because beating Chris in a competitive sport has eluded me. Does air hockey count? Before I started my jog, I watched those 2 play for a little while. Chris was swinging and missing, running into walls and working while Es was cool as a cucumber. After a few minutes I saw where this was going, and I'm not going to lie, I got excited. I mean I was as giddy as a school girl. Jumping up and down and smiling from ear to ear. What does that say about me as a wife? Lol. I don't usually relish in Chris' failures, which are few and far between, but to watch him get his butt handed to him by a girl made my day. I felt like I was the one schooling him! I only watched for like 3 minutes and came back after my jog. When I got back, Chris was drenched in sweat while Essie was simply glowing. He only scored 1 point in 3 games. When Es wasn't in earshot he still talked a little smack until she admitted she actually took it easy on him.


Es then watched us play against each other a little while. Then I practiced rallying, my backhand and hitting off the back wall. Then Chris and I played again when he got back from his jog. Essie watched us again so she could give us pointers. While I lost 15-3, it was 3 points more than I have ever scored against him, and it was 2 more points than he scored against Es! I made him work for his points, especially game point. I am going to continue to practice until I am the one schooling him. Just kidding, not really. I do foresee this as a sport we can enjoy together though.

After that, we scooped Deuce up, which was about 2 hours after we dropped him off. He wanted to go swimming so we took him to the wade pool which only had 6 inches of water and a waterfall. He wanted to go to the big pool, but we forgot our swimsuits. We then enjoyed a nice lunch at Chipotle's, and then went home where Deuce and I proceeded to take a 3.5 hr nap on this glorious rainy overcast Saturday.

So all in all I say I got about 100 more minutes of exercise in, leaving me with 83 minutes for tomorrow.

I hope you all enjoyed your day as much as I did.

E

No comments:

Post a Comment