Sunday, June 30, 2013

Ericka: Lesson Learned the Hard Way (6.30.13)

First, the baked collard green wraps were amazing. I don't know which version I like more. Next time I'm going to do 1/2 and 1/2.

Yesterday, I had a busy day. So busy that we didn't make it to the 3rd stop, because Deuce was cranky and tired. He fell asleep in the car on our way to the party, and we decided to just let him sleep, because he had a long day. Big mistake! The boy slept from 3-6, and didn't go to bed until a quarter to 11 last night. I usually go to bed around 9:30/10 p.m. if I'm not doing anything so last night was kind of rough.
Making Groceries

Oh the Insanity

So you're just going to stay up all night?

Back to my lesson learned. When it was my turn to bowl yesterday, I bent down into a bowler's stance (I'm a complete amateur, in fact a notch below amateur), and I felt a pull the side towards the back of my left thigh (gracilis muscle...thanks Google). I felt it more and more every time I went up to bowl. Lesson learned: DON'T NEGLECT STRETCHING BEFORE EXERCISING! I know, I know it can be tedious and boring, but it's necessary to avoid injuries. I did a few stretches when I got home, and this morning my thigh felt a lot better.

Because I did moderate to high intensity exercises Monday through Saturday, and in light of yesterday's muscle pull, I decided to start my Sunday with yoga. I am not a yogi by any stretch of the imagination. If I do it twice a year, then I've done it plenty. Most recently, as in last year, I did a couple of Bikram classes also known as hot yoga. Bikram yoga is relaxing and mentally challenging all at the same time. The first time I went I started laughing, because I was not prepared for how loud the breathing was going to be. I swear some of those folks had megaphones connected to their throats. After thoroughly embarrassing my friend and myself, I began to pray, because who can laugh during the "Our Father", oh right me. It worked after a couple of tries.

Today I did 2 YouTube yoga videos. The first was a 10 minute Weight loss Yoga for Beginners with Tara Stiles. I really enjoyed it, and will try to incorporate doing it 3 times a week.
Then I did a 20 minute yoga video that was so relaxing. The guy's voice was so tranquil, and I really enjoyed it. This one may become my Sunday morning routine.
Well I'm off. Chris & I are taking the little one swimming by my grandmother's house. It will be my first time swimming in at least a year.

-E

No comments:

Post a Comment