Friday, October 10, 2014

Ericka: I Want to Ride My BICYCLE!! 10.10.14

This morning I rode a bike for the 1st time since who knows how long, probably since our trip to Chicago summer 2013 when Chris and I decided to brave the busy main streets. What were we thinking?!

I started my workout with my solo C25K week 6 day 2 jog (two 5 minute jogs, one 8 minute jog, and two three minute walks in between- 10 minutes for warm-up and cool down). Yes a solo mission because once again my husband couldn’t pry himself out of the bed to jog with me. In light of yesterday’s battle with the dogs, I decided to stick to the well lit main street.

The plan was to get on the elliptical to finish off my hour of exercise, but then I discovered a bicycle I could actually ride. When I saw the bike, all I could hear was Queen's "Bicycle Race".  I’m so over the elliptical, and this bike provided the much needed change up.


Last weekend I attempted to ride my dad’s bike…no bueno. My dad is 6’2 and I’m 5’3. I needed assistance just to get on the bike. I didn’t even make it out of the driveway without falling off, and by falling off I mean laid out on the ground. Of course I blamed my husband for not helping me off upon request.
Even though the bike I rode this morning was closer to the size and frame I need (thanks Casey for forgetting your bike at our house), I was still a little gun shy after last weekend’s debacle. But hey, it’s second nature just like riding a bike right? Wrong. For the first block I actually had to keep turning the wheel left to right just to steady myself. I felt like a 5 year old learning how to ride for the first time, but then Daft Punk’s “Lose Yourself to Dance” came on and it was at that moment that I hit my stride.



I  was feeling so good that I decided to give riding with no hands and with my head tilted back  with eyes closed so I that could feel the breeze and revel in all of the morning’s tranquil glory.

I raised one hand, started to veer off into a curb, and was reminded that I am not good at this, yet. In fact, I've never been able to ride with no hands, or pop a wheeley. I’ll add riding with no hands to my bucket list, along with learning how to double dutch, and roller skate backwards.

I have two more jogs to get in to complete week six. I don’t want to go into week 7 with a week 6 jog still looming over my head. That’s why I have to do four jogs this week versus three because I didn’t finish week five.
Until next time.
Here is some Happy Friday music for your listening pleasure!






E

No comments:

Post a Comment